How do I position the drums and pedals

Smasha

Re: How do I position the drums and pedals

Post by Smasha » Tue May 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Yeah I'm not very astute with making drum pedals.
I think I will give these a miss as I enjoy practicing on a surface.
Thanks for your help again in acquiring me a set.

I just can't get the Aerodrums placed where I want them or to react but I can't do a Moeller at all or finger strokes very well in free air.
I can do it fine on a pad though.

Would take quite alot of practice to even get half as fast in free air I would imagine.
I couldn't get a double stroke roll out of the aerodrums at all like I do on a pad or drum.
I've got up to 130bpm 32nd notes on a pad.
I can't get the sensitivity working with the Aerodrums.
Either plays slow or a mushy mess(can't read the doubles) and I'm pretty severe with my dynamics and timing when practicing.

Thank you once again for helping me in getting the Aerodrums.
I owe you for that.
Maybe down the line as the software matures,I will have a crack at it again.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue May 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Smasha wrote:Yeah I'm not very astute with making drum pedals.
Sorry I shouldn't have used the word "mod". It's mostly a matter of making sure the camera has line of sight on the foot marker. It'll be clearer when we (finally) post the pedals video.
Smasha wrote:I've got up to 130bpm 32nd notes on a pad. I can't get the sensitivity working with the Aerodrums.
Either plays slow or a mushy mess(can't read the doubles) and I'm pretty severe with my dynamics and timing when practicing.
I'll let Richard chime in on this, it'll be years until I can drum that fast. On paper, it is within what Aerodrums can capture.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue May 20, 2014 4:27 pm

I can definitely understand the frustration of having honed a technique to a high standard and then trying an instrument on which it does not translate perfectly.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed May 21, 2014 1:36 am

Smasha, good to hear you got Exclusive WASAPI working. In case you haven't done so already, on the Latency screen I would also make sure the "Buffer size" is set as low as possible (personally I have this set to 0.3ms) and also that the "Drum hit detection sensitivity" is set to Expert (the default is Proficient). This last setting will affect how aggressively Aerodrums filters out small hit gestures. Obviously when playing really fast the gestures are minute so this setting can be important in that case.

32nd notes at 130bpm corresponds to 17 hits per second. That's fast! The world record for singles held by Tom Grosset is 20 hits per second. I have measured my speed in Aerodrums and can achieve 14 or 15 hits per second. This is a limitation of my current ability though, Aerodrums should have no problem keeping up with faster playing when well configured.

At some point I plan to make another video covering the topic of hand technique in more detail. Air drumming is definitely something that takes getting used to but can feel very natural once you get the knack.

Smasha

Post by Smasha » Wed May 21, 2014 8:57 am

OK.
I set the latency on expert and it works much better.
The problem I have is the hats and kick.

I don't have enough room here for the dots to move over those two.

Getting the hang of the other drums but no kick or hats.

Smasha

Post by Smasha » Wed May 21, 2014 9:25 am

Kick working every now and again and the hats are coloured blue and no closed sound at all.
I made sure my body was in the exact same position as the diagram.

Maybe the camera is bouncing off the wall?

Really weird.

Leave it for another night.

Another thing,that red light test,should I be in my drumming position when I click done and skip?

I can't because my PC is at the back of the wall.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Wed May 21, 2014 9:51 am

It looks like it is picking up some bright objects besides your sticks and feet.
The light test is meant to be done while you and your sticks/feet are out of view of the camera (near your computer). We provide the skip button because we often forget our sticks on the chair and thought other people probably would too ;)
If you see red and it is not your feet or sticks, then there is something bright that will interfere with your drumming. If you click back, you will see the red area drawn over a picture of the room that is easier to understand (though not ideal because of blur). This will help you understand where the bright things are.

Smasha

Post by Smasha » Wed May 21, 2014 10:22 am

THAT WAS IT!!!!! :o

Odear I'm so technically illiterate. :lol:
I saw a slice of red on the buttom of the test circle (my camera wasn't far enough forward).
Everything working beautifully now.
TY Sipaliwini.
I can start practicing my air drumming technique now. :ugeek:

Sipaliwini wrote:It looks like it is picking up some bright objects besides your sticks and feet.
The light test is meant to be done while you and your sticks/feet are out of view of the camera (near your computer). We provide the skip button because we often forget our sticks on the chair and thought other people probably would too ;)
If you see red and it is not your feet or sticks, then there is something bright that will interfere with your drumming. If you click back, you will see the red area drawn over a picture of the room that is easier to understand (though not ideal because of blur). This will help you understand where the bright things are.

Smasha

Post by Smasha » Thu May 22, 2014 12:50 am

I find the hats in the big rock kit especially,you have to be ultra precise in your stick movements otherwise you hit the rimclick snare or crash if you have too much of a lift in your motion.

The key to playing these is stopping the motion after you hit the drums.

I find I still beat to the pulse even after hitting the drum so I get more little beats mixed in.

I have moved my seating position around where I can get the pieces in the most natural position but the snare feels like it's 16 inches in diameter and the small tom feels small.

Still great fun and I'm getting the hang of using the sticks playing intricate stuff in free air.
Actually these drums show up your technique flaws more than real drums.

Smasha

Post by Smasha » Thu May 22, 2014 1:06 am

Also just playing then,the hat foot is not working very well.

I tried the standard jazz pattern opening the hat on 1 and closing on 2 and it opens randomly.
I tried slower tempos also.

Maybe that is a light issue though.

Which would negate using these live.

As they are,they are brilliant and the non latency and fluidity is terrific.
Just a few bumps to make them absolutely revolutionary where drummers could ditch their real kits imho.