Aerodrums with Midi

Enemy_no1

Aerodrums with Midi

Post by Enemy_no1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:13 pm

Hello,

i have a problem with aerodrums when playing through MIDI to a DAW. Everytime I connect aerodrums via a virtual MIDI cable to a DAW, aerodrums works fine for a few minutes and then it freezes.
I tried to use diffrent DAW programms (Cubase 5, Reaper and ProTools) and different Drum-Plugins (SuperiorDrummer and Addictive Drums) and also some different virtual MIDI vables such like LoopBe1 and loopMIDI, but with every type of setup the problem is the same.

I also tried to select another audiodriver in aerodrums or run it with no kind of audiodriver at all, but seems like there is a issue between the software and the MIDI output.

Richard

Re: Aerodrums with Midi

Post by Richard » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:59 am

This is very strange. The only thing I can think of is that there might be too much MIDI traffic coming from Aerodrums for your software to cope. In particular, the hihats send over 100 MIDI continuous controller values a second to report the current openness of the hihat. I'd be curious to see if you have the same problem when playing on a drum kit with no hihat element. Perhaps you could try this experiment? If it works we can add an option to Aerodrums to sample the hihat openness at a lower rate, for example.

Espen

Post by Espen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:32 am

On MIDI Tab in Aerodrums there is a setting called "use the MIDI note scheduler. Tick it to No. I had the same problem and that worked.

BTW, what is this setting for anyway Richard, Yann?

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:00 pm

I'd be interested to know if Espen's suggestion fixes this. Please let us know if it does so we can implement a fix for the next release.

I don't know the details about this note scheduler....it is an option in the MIDI library we're using that apparently buffers up MIDI messages instead of sending each message out individually. It was added to fix another issue with certain DAWs where notes would trigger late, with seemingly random latency. We'll take another look at this to see what's going on.

wgold

Post by wgold » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:55 pm

I was wondering if there was any more information on this topic. I recently purchased and set up Aerodrums and found that it worked great for me with Midi off - no detectable latency, good sound, no "glitches". However, once I started trying to use Midi I ran into the exact issue described in this thread. I am using Aerodrums on WIndows 7 with LoopBe, and Reaper w/ Kontakt player plugin. Any info is much appreciated. I think this is a excellent product but getting Midi to work is essential for what I need it for.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Did you try changing the "Use the MIDI note scheduler" option on the MIDI screen? Did it change the behaviour for you?

GinghamJones

Post by GinghamJones » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:45 am

I just wanna come back in 2020 to say thank you so much. I was having the same freezing issue and it was frustrating the ever-loving **** out of me. I turned off MIDI note scheduling and poof, it works!

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:29 pm

The reason why I was signing in to the Aerodrums forum in 2015 was to report this “bug” and it’s solution.
My first post here: aerodums break with a daw
And I remember having helped other users with the same problem. Given the number of people who had problems with this setting, this should be turned off by default. (jm2c)

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks Wolfgang, if I recall correctly we had introduced that option to fix the MIDI behaviour for some users that were having problems. We will review it and decide whether to disable it by default in the next software update. Based on these forum posts it sounds like we should.