REAPER'S METER RED WITH AERODRUMS

FRANDIROMA

Re: REAPER'S METER RED WITH AERODRUMS

Post by FRANDIROMA » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:29 pm

I uninstalled Asio 4all and everything seems to be ok!

Playing on a YouTube track, leaving aside the signal quality factor, can be really convenient!

Thank you!

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:48 pm

You are welcome

FRANDIROMA

Post by FRANDIROMA » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:33 pm

I tried using Umc Asio drivers exclusively. But Aerodrums always froze. So I reinstalled Asio 4all for Aerodrums and stand alone VSTs. While for Reaper and obviously the sound card, Umc Asio.

At the moment there are no problems and the browser audio (Youtube, Spotifym etc.) continues to work through Behringer.

Have a nice life!

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:05 pm

Good you got it working. But isn’t your actual setup the same like before?

I’m using the UMC Asio driver with Aerodrums for several years now, it’s certainly not this driver which makes Aerodrums freezing. There must be another problem. BTW, does the UMC Control Pannel shows a sample rate of 44,1 kHz when it happens? If not, try to start Aerodrums before the other programs using the same driver, so the sound card will set itself to 44,1 kHz.

And about Asio4all, it’s just a hack that wraps around the native Windows Audio driver architecture ("WDM") and presents itself as an ASIO device, but then delegates the actual job to Windows Audio. This “translation” will take a little more time than "just" WDM, which means that ASIO4All will be even slower, adding more latency to the proceedings than if we were using only the (already slow) WDM alone.

Asio4all is a good solution for people needing Asio compatibility with a laptop (or a cheap sound-card) which comes without a dedicated low-latency ASIO driver. And this is not your case.
Good luck

FRANDIROMA

Post by FRANDIROMA » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:37 am

Yes, the configuration is the same as before.

The problem was that with Aerodrums, the signal on Reaper came and went, crackling.

The sampling frequency has always been around 44,100 Khz.

I solved it by deselecting and reselecting UMC on Reaper!

Have you ever heard of FlexAsio (it's also open source)? It seems to guarantee lower latency levels than Asio4all.

Good day and good music!

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:04 pm

Yes, the configuration is the same as before.
So you are risking to confront the same problem in the future, or I’m missing something?
The problem was that with Aerodrums, the signal on Reaper came and went, crackling.
I’m sure it was because your buffers in the UMC Control Pannel were set to 8 !
Have you ever heard of FlexAsio (it's also open source)? It seems to guarantee lower latency levels than Asio4all.
No, but I’ve done a quick search and it seems you are right with this. And it seems you can run it in non exclusive mode (by adding latency). But in fact it’s also a wdm wrapper like Asio4all.

If you want to try all the ASIO drivers of the planet there is also FL Studio ASIO, a driver which ships with FL Studio. It seems to be a real universal ASIO driver which, what I’ve read, performs better than Asio4all.

But I’m persisting, you already have the best driver for your card and you don’t need something else. To prove that I’m not telling you bs. I made this little test this morning.

1 No program is running, the UMC Control Pannel shows 48 kHz
1 UMC Control Pannel. Nothing running.jpg
1 UMC Control Pannel. Nothing running.jpg (22.7 KiB) Viewed 15075 times

2 Starting Aerodrums and setting the UMC ASIO Driver. The UMC driver sets itself to 44,1 kHz
2 Starting Aerodrums. UMC card sets itself to 44.1 kHz.jpg
2 Starting Aerodrums. UMC card sets itself to 44.1 kHz.jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 15075 times

3 Adding Reaper and setting the UMC ASIO Driver. Even with request sample rate set to 48 kHz the UMC driver stays in 44,1 kHz. BTW, this request setting shouldn’t have been activated! 2 + 3 are running together.
3 Starting Reaper. UMC stays at 44.1.jpg
3 Starting Reaper. UMC stays at 44.1.jpg (98.11 KiB) Viewed 15075 times
Last edited by Wolfgang on Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:07 pm

4 Adding Addictive Drums and setting the UMC ASIO Driver. 2 + 3 + 4 are running together.
4 Starting Addictive Drums.jpg
4 Starting Addictive Drums.jpg (103.26 KiB) Viewed 15075 times

5 Adding a YouTube video. 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 are running together.
5 Adding YouTube video.jpg
5 Adding YouTube video.jpg (121.91 KiB) Viewed 15075 times
Last edited by Wolfgang on Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:11 pm

6 Make sure you have selected your device here
Windows audio setting 1.jpg
Windows audio setting 1.jpg (24.94 KiB) Viewed 15074 times

7 My Windows audio settings
Windows audio setting 2.jpg
Windows audio setting 2.jpg (43.1 KiB) Viewed 15074 times
Windows audio setting 3.jpg
Windows audio setting 3.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 15074 times

FRANDIROMA

Post by FRANDIROMA » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:57 am

Hi Wolfgang, yes theoretically the problem could repeat itself and you are right: the buffer on Reaper was at 8 and I had no possibility of modifying it. He always came back to that value.

I'll try again following your suggestions and see how it goes.

I don't know why but in Aerodrums, on the "Latency" page I only see the 3 options: beginner, advanced and expert and therefore I can't configure anything else. Obviously the software has made the latest upgrade available.

Thanks and good music!

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:14 am

If MIDI mode is enabled in Aerodrums then the settings related to audio output devices will be disabled on the Latency screen.