Lantecy issue on new MacBookPro 2020

hacyran

Lantecy issue on new MacBookPro 2020

Post by hacyran » Fri May 15, 2020 9:24 am

Hello crew,

Since I bought it some years ago, I've been having fun with Aerodrums except for one thing: I've never been able to reach any decent "framerate" (always in the red zone) and some hits were loose. I've always thought it was related to using somewhat old hardware (tried on MacBookPro, MacBookAir and MacMini, all about 2011-2012).
Now I have a brand new MBP (2020, 1.4GHz i5 8GB RAM), but still, the issue remains. Plugged both camera and lamp using usb-a to usb-c adapters, no other app is running, yet I still see frame rate between 65 and 95. Nevertheless, I tried AD 3D and it works flawlessly (50% GPU, 25% CPU) and is indeed very reactive.
So that may not be a real issue, but is there a way I can achieve to raise the frame rate to 125 and above?

Thanks,

Richard

Re: Lantecy issue on new MacBookPro 2020

Post by Richard » Fri May 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi, when you tried Aerodrums on other Macs and didn't achieve full frame rate, was the camera plugged directly into the computer or was it going through a USB hub or adapter?

From what you said it could be an issue with the USB-A to USB-C adapter. We had one other customer who had a similar issue (although in their case the frames coming from the camera appeared scrambled). Replacing the adapter with a different one fixed their issue.

If none of the computers you mentioned ran Aerodrums at full frame rate (125 fps) then I wonder if there could be an issue with the camera itself.

Could you try run Aerodrums again and press control+g when on the drumming screen. Pressing this will cycle through a series of degraded graphics modes that may give an improved frame rate. In particular, in the last mode, no graphics will be displayed and the frame rate will be displayed in the window's title bar. Can you tell me what frame rate you see in this mode? Thanks.

hacyran

Post by hacyran » Fri May 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks for your reply, Richard.
By the way, I used to use a USB3 hub, but it wasn't any better when plugged directly to the computer or ElGato thunderbolt dock. Very rarely it did jump to 125fps for a fraction of a second, whatever latency mode (ctrl+g) I was trying, so I was assuming it was a false positive.
BUT I never noticed the frame rate display in the title bar with no graphics at all (I'm kinda new drummer, so that mode isn't very useful to me). And within that mode, it's 125fps steady! So I gave Aerodrums 3D a try, which I never did on that MacMini, and it works perfectly (though the fans go crazy). Using that setup now fills all my needs. Many thanks on that one.

I then tried again with the new MBP, but now Aerodrums complains about not being able to initialize the sound card, though no program seems to use ASIO, which issue I will check now. But whatever, I won't dig it very far because the MacMini will now be my preferred setup.

So thanks again, and have a good one. :-)

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri May 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Ok, that's good to hear. Aerodrums 3D has some options in its menu to limit the frame rate. You should be able to set the maximum frame rate to 30 or 60 FPS to stop your fans from going crazy.

I can't recall ever seeing the other problem. Maybe a reboot would help to ensure you don't have other apps running that might be interfering.