unintentional hits

eyal83

unintentional hits

Post by eyal83 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:46 am

I noticed that many times the wrong drum will pick up a "hit" even though I didn't intend it. For example, look at the attached image. If I hit the "X", both tom and crash will probably trigger, even though I would expect none of them to.

This has caused me to space my drums dramatically just to avoid unintentional hits.

Suggestions?
Attachments
aero_mac_no_desktop.png
aero_mac_no_desktop.png (144.52 KiB) Viewed 8010 times

Richard

Re: unintentional hits

Post by Richard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:16 pm

This behaviour is by design. If you make a hit gesture then it will trigger the drum that is closest to where you hit. If you hit 'X' in your screenshot then it will trigger either the crash or the high tom, whichever is closest to X. This is so that you don't have to be very accurate in where you hit a drum.

That said, it would be better if it didn't trigger any hits when you hit very far from a drum - we have implemented a new hit filtering option that will hopefully be released in the next software update.

In the meantime I suggest you experiment a bit more with re-positioning your drums to see if helps prevent the unintentional hits. It's important to remember that the drums have a position in 3D so make sure you hit the air exactly where you want the drum, without regard for where the drum icons appear on the screen. For example, it's perfectly fine for two drums to overlap on the screen because they can still be at different "depths" with respect to the camera.

JRC

Re: unintentional hits

Post by JRC » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:01 am

Further spacing of the drums will not counteract unintentional hits, since there still will be no silent areas. There is always an overlap.
One suggestion could be that when/if you set up Aerodrums together with Superior Drummer, SSD, BFD etc (like I do) you could create
a drum but not assign any sound to it, effectively making it a "silent" area since it's an occupied spot where no sound sample is loaded.