Aerodrums hangs

msundh

Aerodrums hangs

Post by msundh » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi
I have a Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz, 4GB, Win 8.1 64bit.
I setup the aerodrums and get 124 fps, but as soon as I start drumming the application hangs, the fps goes down to 4-5 fps.
Sometimes I can play for a minute or two
What's wrong?

Sipaliwini

Re: Aerodrums hangs

Post by Sipaliwini » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Sorry about the delay, could you give me the make and model number of your computer? It could be that it has two graphics devices and that Aerodrums uses the wrong one or that Windows switches to the wrong one after a while.
When you right click on the Aerodrums program (not the shortcut, to see the program right click on the shortcut then select "properties" then "open file location"), do you get a line that reads "run with graphics processor >"?

If not, could you do this experiment for us: go in the MIDI screen and select MIDI only at the top, then click Ok and then Drum. Do you then get a stable 124-125 fps? (You will not be able to hear anything, this is just a test to see if the audio device is somehow conflicting with other devices).

msundh

Post by msundh » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi
I tried both the instructions in the (Do I need a graphic card thread) and the MIDI only test. I get the same result. Works for a few seconds and then it hangs.
My specs: Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz, 4GB, Win 8.1 64bit 4GB Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 audio device.
According to the Task manager there is no CPU or Memory issue.
I did a few test and when I disconnect the 18i8, it works, so I guess there is a conflict with the Asio driver?
What can I do now?

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Thank you for doing the tests.

I think that what is happening is that the camera and the 18i8 are fighting for USB 2.0 bandwidth.
With a bit of luck, you can find a combination of USB plugs that are handled by different controllers of your computer's main board.
For example, let's say you have four USB plugs, leave the 18i8 plugged in one of them, then plug the camera in each of the other three plugs, restarting Aerodrums each time.

If your computer's main board only has one USB controller, then unfortunately you may not be able to use Aerodrums at the same time as you use the 18i8.
Are you needing it to process other audio channels at the same time as you play Aerodrums? If not, if you have a default internal sound card, it should be able to do a better job rendering Aerodrums' sound than the 18i8 would even without this USB issue, because it will not have the added latency introduced by the USB interface.

msundh

Post by msundh » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:18 pm

I moved around the USB Cables but found only temporary inprovements. I'm pretty sure I have more than one USB hub.
Since the CPU is around 20-50% total and RAM is around 50% of 4GB, I can rule out these.
Could a new USB card make a difference (not much money for a PCi USB card)?
I would like to avoid enable the mothercard sound card.
My purpose of the aerodrums (since I'm no drummer) is to add fills and some rythm ideas, since drum programming sux;), so I really don't want to switch between the sound boards.
I had some issues that was solved by disable the onboard soundcard.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:57 pm

I understand, do you know the model number of your motherboard?( If it does have two independent hubs, I am worried that getting an extra PCI card for more USB ports may not fix things, but we would then research why there seems to be a bandwidth conflict).

msundh

Post by msundh » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:12 pm

I have a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:55 pm

Ok thank you. On your motherboard the USB ports are handled by the integrated graphics chipset (nVIDIA GeForce 7100/ nForce 630i). I have looked at a few specs and diagrams and it seems to only have one USB 2.0 hub, so I would give the PCI USB card a try if it is cheap or can be returned. Before you do that, could you tell me if the fps rises above the 4-5 you mentioned when you try the low graphics modes (press Ctrl + g to cycle through the modes), if so, what approximate values do you get in each mode?

msundh

Post by msundh » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:11 am

Normally it starts at around 125. When it get stuck, the fps Changes between 4-9 and 125. When it stucks it doesn't matter what value the fps shows.
The start screen 125. mode 1: green show no digits. mode 2: 126, mode 3: 125 (switch between this and a 4fps), No Graphics: 125-130/9-17.
Graphic mode 2,3 and disabled has less and shorter drops of fps. No correlation between the FPS and the ability to play.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:25 pm

It does sound like a USB conflict, I would try the extra card.
The camera uses a lot of bandwidth and not in a way that is friendly to other devices on the same USB chain, so we are unlikely to be able to fix the issue in software.
Of course if that is a show stopper for you we will refund you.