connecting aerodrums to a usb audio interface

Mr Flow

connecting aerodrums to a usb audio interface

Post by Mr Flow » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi,

I own addictive drums 2 and was wondering, if one could channel aerodrums through addictive drums. To be more specific: playing and listening at the same time. Using the shared WASAPI-setting, I succeded, but there is some latency I found extremly difficult to compensate, while playing. So I thought about using a usb audio interface. I own a Steinberg UR22mkII, but can't set it up properly with aerodrums <-> addictive drums.
Is it finally failing because of Aerodrum's exclusive use of the soundcard? -In this case the UR22mkII.

Mr Flow

Re: connecting aerodrums to a usb audio interface

Post by Mr Flow » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:52 pm

I was able to solve my problem. It's got something to with the correct order of connecting things and choosing options and *argh*. If someone is interested and as soon as I have found a reproducible way, I'll let you know. :)

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:42 pm

It should be straightforward. When Aerodrums is set to 'MIDI Only' from the MIDI screen, the audio device selection from the Latency screen is ignored. It's best to restart Aerodrums after changing to MIDI mode though to ensure that no device initialization happens since this could interfere with Addictive Drums 2. This might be the snag you hit previously. You'll also need to set up a virtual MIDI cable, e.g. LoopBe1.

On the Addictive Drums 2 side, from the Audio & MIDI Setup window, you should choose ASIO (e.g. with the device field set to 'ASIO4ALL'), a low buffer size (e.g. 64 samples) and make sure that the Active MIDI input is set to 'LoopBe Internal MIDI' or whatever you're using. I guess you're doing something similar to this now but let me know if have any questions about it.

Mr Flow

Post by Mr Flow » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:50 pm

LoopBe1 and Addictive Drums 2 are all set up properly, but aerodrums seems occasionally to forget to ignore the settings from the latency screen. It's then trial and error, when aerodrums does remeber them.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Interesting...are you able to reproduce the issue you're seeing reliably? We'd definitely like to investigate it.

Mr Flow

Post by Mr Flow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:33 pm

No, I'm sorry. It happens most the time, when you first run aerodrums, then connect the audio interface and then run addictive drums 2. The most reliable way, I've found for me to get it work, is:

1) connect everything to the computer (camera, light, interface)
2) run addictive drums 2 so it can somewhat block the access to the audio interface
3) run aerodrums. Now, the folling error occurs:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (30.3 KiB) Viewed 44591 times
You can simply ignore that and start drumming. Since the last session I din't change the midi output mode. My latency screen looks like this:
Capture2.jpg
Capture2.jpg (140.59 KiB) Viewed 44591 times
The audio latency setting is set to "let aerodrums choose"

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks for the info. I am able to reproduce an issue now. With Aerodrums set to MIDI only mode, if I run Addictive Drums 2 and then run Aerodrums I get a message box complaining that Aerodrums couldn't initialize the audio device. I believe this is incorrect. We should not attempt to initialize any audio device in MIDI mode. We'll investigate this, thanks again.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:57 pm

It makes sense that it works for you when you run Addictive Drums 2 before Aerodrums.
Here's why, assuming you have Addictive Drums 2 set to use ASIO4ALL (or something else that requires exclusive audio device access) and Aerodrums set to use the recommended Exclusive WASAPI audio device:
If you run Aerodrums first it will grab exclusive access to the audio device. If you then run Addictive Drums 2, it will fail to initialize an audio device and you won't hear any sound from Addictive Drums 2.
If instead you run Addictive Drums 2 first, it will succeed in initializing the audio device and when you run Aerodrums it will fail and you'll see the message box from your post. But in this case, Addictive Drums 2 will work fine.
We should try to improve the workflow here but for now I recommend you run Addictive Drums 2 before running Aerodrums.

Mr Flow

Post by Mr Flow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:14 pm

Glad to hear, you're on it :-)
Since there is this workaround I'm fine, but of course looking forward to an improved version.

CoraDias

Post by CoraDias » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge when Aerodrums is set to 'MIDI Only' from the MIDI screen, the audio device selection from the Latency screen is ignored. It's best to restart Aerodrums after changing to MIDI mode though to ensure that no device initialization happens since this could interfere with Addictive Drums 2. This might be the snag you hit previously.

smt assembly