Hi hat help

Richard

Re: Hi hat help

Post by Richard » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:20 pm

Unfortunately, it sounds like you'd need to investigate deeper to get to the bottom of this.

GarageBand will trigger sounds corresponding to the MIDI notes it receives. You can use a free online MIDI monitor such as https://www.midimonitor.com/ to see what MIDI notes Aerodrums is sending when you hit the hi-hat. For the correct behaviour these notes need to match what GarageBand expects. If it's not the case then the MIDI map needs to be modified in Aerodrums to send the correct notes.

In our GarageBand preset, the hi-hat will send A#1 for normal hits and F#1 for accented hits. I'm not very familiar with GarageBand but if you can confirm that these MIDI notes will trigger the expected sounds, then that would be a start. If it doesn't you could try playing around with the MIDI mapping in Aerodrums.

I would try the following:
In the MIDI screen, untick the 'Open or closed only' option.
Then select the GarageBand preset and press the 'Clone' button followed by the 'Edit' button. Then you can select 'Hi-hat' from the Element list and change both the 'Note:' and 'Accent:' values to G#1 and the foot value to A0. If that's not working you could also try changing the 'CC:' value from 'Foot pedal' to 'Mod wheel'.

Let me know if you're still stuck and I'll try to dig into it myself.

lennon81

Post by lennon81 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:16 pm

Richard wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:26 pm
Aerodrums uses a MIDI continuous controller (CC4) to output the hi-hat openness. Most software handles this fine but we have seen a couple of instances where the software isn't configured to respond to this. It sounds like you're having the same problem.

A while back we introduced a hidden workaround for another user who was also experiencing this:
http://aerodrums.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... f=10&t=504

If you want to try this fix you will need to edit the "aerodrums.cfg" file using a text editor. The file is located inside the Aerodrums.app so to access it you'll need to Cmd + click on it, select show package contents and then go to the Contents\Resources directory.

Open "aerodrums.cfg" in TextEdit and look for the line "[Session]".
On the line following this, copy and paste this line:
Midi_Use_MDrummer_Hack = yes

This should make it possible to hit a closed hi-hat. This will only allow the hi-hat to be either open or closed. I don't know if the Logic drummer you're using supports a smooth transition between open and closed hi-hats but if it does, unfortunately you won't get that behaviour with this workaround.
Hi, i can't find the "session" line in "aerodrums.cfg"... how is it possibile?

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:28 pm

Those instructions are outdated. The relevant parameter is now accessible in Aerodrums' MIDI screen. It appears at the bottom and is labelled "Open or closed only".

lennon81

Post by lennon81 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:35 am

Richard wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:28 pm
Those instructions are outdated. The relevant parameter is now accessible in Aerodrums' MIDI screen. It appears at the bottom and is labelled "Open or closed only".
ok, in the italian version the translation of the bottom is labelled "closed charleston" and it's turned on by default

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:14 am

For me the label appears as "Solo aperto o chiuso". It should be turned off when you run Aerodrums for the first time. Are you sure you didn't enable it at some point?

lennon81

Post by lennon81 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:07 am

Richard wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:14 am
For me the label appears as "Solo aperto o chiuso". It should be turned off when you run Aerodrums for the first time. Are you sure you didn't enable it at some point?
sorry, the "solo aperto o chiuso" is turned off when i open aerodrums, there is another voice up that is called "invia dell'apertura solo prime note" (send opening entries only) which is turned on.