Real drummers: Does Aerodrums help your kit playing?

eicca

Real drummers: Does Aerodrums help your kit playing?

Post by eicca » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:06 am

I got Aerodrums as a total newb. Prior I had only played a real kit for about three hours. Loved it so much I had to get Aerodrums :D

Anyway, I think Aerodrums are the perfect training equipment. For example: My rhythmic accuracy with repeated hits and stuff on the real kit was pretty good, but on the Aerodrums it's all over the place. I have to focus much much more on my limb control to stay right on the grid. I feel like once I'm really comfortably accurate on the Aerodrums, accuracy on the physical kit will be far easier.

And the other thing, coordination is 85% of the battle with drums, yes? I mean, if I can't keep my hands and feet from getting tangled in each other's groove on Aerodrums, it certainly won't happen on a real kit.

Obviously, hand crossing and rebound and cymbal hits are something that only a physical kit can offer. But the whole point of my theory is that once I'm good on Aerodrums, real kit should come real naturally.

Right........?

All you actual drummers, sound off!
Wannabe drummer

Ringowig

Re: Real drummers: Does Aerodrums help your kit playing?

Post by Ringowig » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi,

I agree that Aerodrums is good training. I think if you have a basic knowledge of setting up a 'real' drum kit ergonomics wise then it should be quite easy to 'visualise' a real kit in front of you without going into VR etc. Anything you can pull off cleanly and with good dynamics on Aerodrums WILL sound good when you come to try it out on an acoustic kit (IMO).
I've had many years of playing on acoustic and also electronic kits..I treat Aerodrums as my totally silent practice kit...working on reading, independence , (or interdependence), grooves , styles etc...basically the knowing that I'm not upsetting or bothering anyone sound wise allows me to get really productive and valuable practice done...i think using the palm of your hand as the surface in a 'reverse rebound' method is very relevant practice personally...Enjoy your Aerodrums! :)

Cheers!

eicca

Post by eicca » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Ringowig wrote:i think using the palm of your hand as the surface in a 'reverse rebound' method is very relevant practice personally
This! The palm-rebound technique has really exposed how weak my left hand is. My right hand has excellent control but left is sooooooo weak. Even with real sticks and a practice pad the weakness isn't nearly as obvious as the air drumming. It's interesting.
Wannabe drummer

Lex415

Post by Lex415 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 am

This! The palm-rebound technique has really exposed how weak my left hand is. My right hand has excellent control but left is sooooooo weak. Even with real sticks and a practice pad the weakness isn't nearly as obvious as the air drumming. It's interesting.
That palm/rebound technique definitely helps, using "German Grip" whilst playing is really the only way to play Aerodrums correctly and accurately. That grip style helps rebound nicely, but drumming "Matched Grip" for years, it's hard to play German grip without going back to
Matched almost instantly.