How much space do I need?

osau

How much space do I need?

Post by osau » Sat May 31, 2014 4:35 am

I notice that in the demo video, the drummer sits at some distance from the computer/camera.

My studio occupies a fairly cramped, pokey little space, and I'm wondering if that could be a problem.

Is there a guideline on this?

Cheers

Sipaliwini

Re: How much space do I need?

Post by Sipaliwini » Sat May 31, 2014 9:42 am

You do need a minimum of free space. The videos at http://aerodrums.com/manual/#setting-up-the-hardware will give you an idea.

Roughly, with anything below 6' ( 1.8m ) in front of the camera, and roughly 5' ( 1.5m ) wide at the level of your seat, you risk feeling cramped if you are used to drumming on a normal kit. (You can see at 0:08 in the first setup video that the free space needed is narrower closer to the camera, it's like a cone). If you are very tall, I would add up to a foot (0.3 m) to these figures.

One thing you can do if your space is small is to attach the camera to the wall or place it on a small shelf, instead of putting it on a table, this will save you the depth of a table.

osau

Post by osau » Sat May 31, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks for your response.

I've played on kits before, but I'm definitely not 'a drummer'

I have another question now; how configurable is the virtual kit? Can you arrange it, in space, however you like? Can you alter the dimensions of the drums? Eg, having huge or tiny drums

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sat May 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Yes you can place the drums where you want them. If you place some drums near to each other, they will feel small. If you play with just a few pieces that you place far apart, each will seem to have a bigger surface than on a real kit.

osau

Post by osau » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Sipaliwini wrote:Yes you can place the drums where you want them. If you place some drums near to each other, they will feel small. If you play with just a few pieces that you place far apart, each will seem to have a bigger surface than on a real kit.
Thank you :)