customizable midi out per drum element

sambosun

customizable midi out per drum element

Post by sambosun » Sun May 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi I'm new to the Aerodrums family. I got myself this awesome piece of kit to drum in my sample library stuff when scoring for picture.
I've setup a 19 piece Tom kit to trigger i.E. Heavyocity Damage or DM307 samples. But the drum elements have a fixed midi out.
I would like to see a customisable midi out option to set every drum element to its own midi out.

Richard

Re: customizable midi out per drum element

Post by Richard » Mon May 26, 2014 12:41 am

Welcome aboard, I guess we didn't anticipate Aerodrums users to be creating 19 piece MIDI kits but you're absolutely right that Aerodrums should allow you to assign MIDI notes for each element in your kit (and it should also allow you to create MIDI only elements instead of having to specify .wav files to create a custom element). Sorry this feature isn't there now but we will add it at some point. Thanks for the feedback.

sambosun

Post by sambosun » Mon May 26, 2014 1:43 am

Thanks Richard,

Aerodrums really is the first expressive drum kit that helps me get down the perfect beat.
No more pad controllers for me.

Also it would be outstanding if you could ad a note-off option for the midi side. So when recording midi notes the DAW doesn't write held notes.

Thanks again for such a great product.

sambosun

Post by sambosun » Tue May 27, 2014 12:54 pm

To correct my first post above. It would be outstanding to be able to assign custom midi notes and channels to drum kit elements. If possible it speeds up the workflow if the setup of drum elements could be done with the mouse and the midi note assignment via midi learn or drum stick or mouse and/or keyboard.

I think one easy way here would be this:
- select a drum element with either the sticks or a mouse
- klick or hit a midi learn button
- hit the note on a keyboard controller
- done

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu May 29, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks sambosun! We are planning to review and rework the MIDI interface soon to make it more flexible in the ways you suggest. We will definitely consider the addition of a "learn" function or something similar.

sambosun

Post by sambosun » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 pm

cool can't wait to try it out. Thanks

bobzombie

Post by bobzombie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 am

I was about to suggest something similar. Can't wait for this upgrade. Keep on with the good work.

Munibeast

Post by Munibeast » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:26 pm

I tried The aerodrums with MIDI out for the first time today. I must say I was very unpleasantly surprised that there was so little configurability there. MIDI note and channel assignments would be the most obvious omission but there should also be settings for velocity sensitivity per drum and a choke feature too. I hope you guys are working on an update to add these things and are very close to releasing it. The MIDI mode is not much more than a joke otherwise. This should be a top priority imho.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:36 am

Hello there, sorry you have been disappointed by the MIDI options.

You can configure velocity sensitivity by going into Menu -> Adjust drums -> Volume & sensitivity. This button will not be available if you are playing a preset kit, you will need to go in Drum kits and click the clone button to make a copy of a preset.

MIDI note assignment is a requested feature that we will release soon. We have a few ideas for the choke feature and I agree it is something important that is currently missing.

CaBleman

Post by CaBleman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:52 am

pls allow me one question that may be related:

I would like to use Aerodrums with Native Instruments Drum Lab (a Kontakt Instrument). When Drum Labs is in General Midi setting, almost everything works fine, except for the hi hat close after it has been opened at least once.
So I start with the closed sound, then operate the HH pedal to open and that all works. But despite what I do with the pedal after that it will only play the open sound. Does that mean that the pedal down MIDI command is not being recognised correctly by Drum Lab? What could I try to fix this?

Cheers CaB