I’m planning to turn white light into Infrared light.

aerodrummer

Re: I’m planning to turn white light into Infrared light.

Post by aerodrummer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 am

I love the magnets idea! Are they very heavy? This has given me a few ideas.

The ping pong balls I used were probably too large, however you can get plastic mini ping pong balls which might be just right. Stick a 1/2 watt led inside, epoxy to CR2032 battery holder that includes a switch. Epoxy a magnet to the battery holder and another to the drum stick end, or maybe flat metal washer instead to make it hold.

Not sure about the balance of the sticks though - might be too top heavy.

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:59 pm

I just bought these; there are 2 of them so I will give it a go tomorrow when it arrives.
They are for 12V but I don’t care at the moment they were cheap. If it works I will build a 5V version.
Infrared LED for CCTV
This is German Amazon
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00SUKCKSM/ref= ... frarot+led

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:10 pm

Ok, tonight a friend of mine soldered all bits together and decided to use a 14v instead of 12v for me and it is hell bright. I still have to test it and I am just waiting for my guests to go home. Theoretically it should work and if it does then using 5v USB in parallel should work too.
“Hell bright means only looking through a camera. Looking straight at the lights they are very invisible, light red 850nm”. I will let you know later on. :D

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:43 am

Hi everyone,
This is my first try at using the IR LED and it is working very well. I just need to get it all setup better and I will now be making a 5V version for myself.
If you notice in the video my monitor is directly facing the camera. This would never have worked before but now it does.
Infrared Aerodrums experiment working in bright environment
This is using a 12v Infrared 36 LED circle which is normally used for CCTV cameras.
In the video you can see some IR light in the camera but in reality you actually see nothing.
The PS3 has been modded by removing the IR Filter. Now I know it works I am going to build a 5V system so that it can be soldered directly onto the camera.
Hier is a video to show you it working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdc2SLk ... e=youtu.be

Espen

Post by Espen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Big kudos to your effort eagleeyez!
Now this turned to be very interesting. I must say I kind of dropped off the wagon at some point but have you served some information about the health issues of IR light to human eye?

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:29 pm

I still have to get that measured but speaking to some people who know their stuff in the area they are saying, that there are no issues at that distance and brightness and you are not looking directly nonstop into the light. You set the notebook to one side and not directly in front of the camera and light and the power is minimal.

Tomorrow I will be buying some components and build a 5V version. Also having a normal light on in the room will help.
The IR circle, what you see in the video are too small to fit around the lens and that is why they are balanced at the top. I noticed that the feet are not registering and this is because the light really has to surround the lens to work correctly. This is why I will be making my own now and now I know it works it will be fun. I will also only then use 18 IR’s like the standard LED instead of 36 IR’s as in the video. That will be 3ir’s serial times 6 parallel = 18 using USB 5v directly from the camera.

slavedave

Post by slavedave » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:41 am

Great "proof of concept" eagleeyez. I am following this thread with interest still.

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Ok, it's looking good now and I hope to have something finish for tomorrow. I think I have found the right IR LED's and it all seems to be working, even without a low pass filter. I will of course make a video. I even had success with as little as 6 IR's and only 20ma pro IR, even though I could push these IR's to 50ma. 30° seems to be the sweet point. But as said I am still experimenting and somebody else with more knowledge would have been done in a day most probably. For me it would just be great enough to get it working on my own.

rebit

Post by rebit » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:33 am

Very nice idea eagleeyes, i will follow this thread too ! Would be nice to play aerodrums in a brigthness enviroment !

best regards, rebit !

aerodrummer

Post by aerodrummer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:28 am

Amazing work!

Does the light shine right down to your feet? I found it hard to find a wide enough angle. Well done on your work! Can't wait to see your progress.