I’m planning to turn white light into Infrared light.

eagleeyez

Re: I’m planning to turn white light into Infrared light.

Post by eagleeyez » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:24 am

in this video he shows you how to make LED Throwies
This could be a way for people just wanting light up ping pong balls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLqmE2EBZnk
Also how he made a switch out of just a plastic strip

Now, these button cells can be bought as rechargeable, but if you think about it a throwie lasts non-stop for a month and with a switch even longer as it’s only on when you need it.So co8uld actually be usable.

Now, that would be light weight, as you do not need the magnets as in the video. Having now a ping pong ball that you can unscrew would be great but maybe not so necessary as I have thought up a new fixing method for the ball on the stick. Don’t forget, we could just as easy use IR diodes for this but IR diodes use 100ma and LED’s only 20ma.

I am still waiting for components to be delivered and that should be tomorrow.
Now here it the new fixing method, which I have not tried yet but it should work.
I have some black rubber nibs for my drum sticks, that push on very tightly to the drum tips. Now make a small hole in the ping pong ball, just big enough to push the stick with the rubber tip into the ball. But first buy some 2 compound putty glue. Squeeze and rub until the putty has mixed and form it around the rubber nib on you drum stick. Leave a blob at the front so that when you push the stick into the ball and press against the back of the ball so it sticks. Leave for 10 Minutes and now the rubber tip is firmly glued to the inside back of the ball. You can now remove your drum sticks and put them back in as often as you like.

I will do a video just as soon as everything is here.

EDIT ------------------------------------------------------
I did do this and a video, but after doing this I thought ther must be an easier way and I came up with the Kindersurprise egg idea
and it worked. See next post.
Last edited by eagleeyez on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:10 pm

EDIT ------------------------------------------------------
I did do this and a video, but after doing this I thought ther must be an easier way and I came up with the Kindersurprise egg idea
and it worked. See next post.
--------------------------------------------------------------

For those who want LED stick lighting, I think I have it now. It is still theory until my components arrive, but still very possible.

1. Take one ping-pong ball
2. Use a compass cutter to cut a hole a little bigger than a 3v button cell.
3. Keep the cutout to one side
4. Connect a high power LED to the battery with switch if you like.
5. Fix a few battery connecter springs to the battery so it does not rattle inside the ball.
Tape the cut out piece onto the ball after switching it on.

This way you can change the battery very easily, switch off/on and it will hold months.
Now sticking this to the drum tip I will think about tomorrow.

Use an LED that fits to the volt of your button battery and you do not need a resistor.
google a little and you will find it all.

I will make a video as soon as I can get my hands on the components.
Last edited by eagleeyez on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slavedave

Post by slavedave » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:24 pm

Have to say....
I am loving this thread! DIY is so organic and stimulating. Thank you for wanting to dabble in different solutions for aerodrum players.

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi everyone,
Ok, I am now a proud owner of Aerodrums since Friday. I have had a little time now over the weekend to set it all up and give it a go and also experiment a little with Led’s and IR led’s.
First off I just want to say to Richard and Yann DAM AMAZING!!!
I can now at last learn drums in the comfort of my own home and bash away as long as I like. It’s definatly a dream now come true.
The bright LED lamp actually does not bother me at all. I was kind of expecting it to be much more intense. I could live with that already but let’s give the other ideas a go anyway.

LED on a Stick This one works and you do not need to cut anything and no wires or resistors.

1 wood drum stick
1 3.2v white LED at 20ma.
1 3v button cell CR2025
3 small round Neodym magnets
1 metallic screw to screw into the head of the Stick
1 washer for the screw
1 Kindersurprise egg (you can eat the chocolate and give away the toy.)

Instructions
1. Place the long pin of the led onto the + side of the cell battery and place a Neodym magnet over the wire. Do the same for the short pin on the negative side. You will notice it is lighting up.
2. Click open the egg and screw it to your stick with the metal washer.
3. Put another neodym magnet onto the screw.
4. Throw the light into the egg and it will stick to the bottom magnet.
5. Close the egg and you are finished.
6. You can shake as much as you like, nothing will rattle.
7. This way you can switch on and off and change the battery very easterly.
8. I have already tested this and it works perfectly.
I actually screwed it to the back of the stick, as that was easier to drill a hole for the screw to di a quickl test. You could just saw off the tip and then use the front.

IR Experiment.
Sadly my IR’s were not bright enough, so I will have to remove the IR filter from the PS3 eye camera. I will actually just purchase the lens without the filter for 4$
I will get back to this soon.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello,
I've already posted something in your other topics before I saw that you are continuing this one.
Yes, you could just saw off the tip and then use the front or start with Timbale Sticks.
There have been ideas similar to yours in this forum, but I think you are close to something usable. Will see what you will do with the feet.
I see, you are persisting in IR. Ok, why not, but if it's for playing outside I'm afraid that all your effort for porting this to IR will be for nothing. I could never believe that IR will ever permit us to play Aerodrums in plain sunlight.
Keep doing.

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:33 pm

Sun light, no chance. But indirect light maybe.

For Infrared I have been looking at maybe a one night/light day quick stage professional possibility. This is a German website; you can translate it through many programs. It’s one of those lights that you break and shake and it glows. This one glows just in Infrared. So we may be looking at different alternatives like LED for home, bright front LED for tutorials and IR led or these knicklichter for quick pro useage at a small cost.

https://www.knixs.com/onlineshop/MicroK ... ime7ugqik5

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:16 pm

First success with Infrarot LED.

So, as I have 6 of the old ps3 cameras destroyed the first one and took my time with the second one removing the IR filter. Did that and managed to scratch the lens and I then thought, this just isn’t gona work, but it did.

Now just using a single IR-led attached to a 1.5v button cell I was able to use the drums without any latency and without the bright led on. I could even sit in complete darkness. Not only that, I did not put a low pass filter on the camera at the first test and still with lights blazing on in the room it still worked. Hmm funny and I don’t know why at the moment but that is also good. I did not have much time this week, but tomorrow I will dedicate the whole day for this.

I will then do a YouTube video and give a components list.
I am surprised at how a very small IR - led works extremely well. I will try using a small IR- flood and see if I can then use the standards sticks in the dark too. Should actually work.

Something like this could be handy for the IR-flood.
Attachments
IR-LED Baugruppe
IR-LED Baugruppe
LED Baugruppe.JPG (106.12 KiB) Viewed 26485 times

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi, everyone

So, I did not get the whole day today for myself, what I expected but I did get a little time to try out some IR-LED’s and have had a few thoughts about it all.

First off, I only had a 5°, 20° and a 40° IR to hand. The 40° was much better in lighted situations and I see now that I am going to try 90 – 145° even though I am not going this road anymore. The reason is batteries, loads of them over time. I am going for the flood light in IR, but in a range that cannot be damaging to the eyes.

Why could IR light be damaging?

Well, when you look at white light your pupils will close to stop as much light hitting your retina as possible. With IR light, you do not see the light and your pupils stay wide open letting bright IR light to hit your retina. Normally you would squint or look away but with IR you don’t even register it. This is why we should try to get enough for the Retroreflectors but enough not to cause eye strain or any possibility of damaging the retina.

This I see, as very possible but I have to read more as I am not qualified in any of these matters. I am learning too, which is actually a lot of fun.

I did not make any videos today, as I will be ordering a few new components to try out something new next week but seeing this all now it is going to be and IR flood using the original sticks, foot retroreflectors and the IR filter taken out of the camera with a low pass filter. This is the only way to go, to not have too many components or batteries to worry about. You can get 500ma out of a 5v USB, so that should be enough for 18 IR-LED’S. 3 in series x 6 parallel to stay under the 5v but use maximum mill amperes and get the radial IR light needed. I am going to have to now google how I can test that the IR’s are not too bright for the eyes, but bright enough for the markers.

So I’ll get back to you all here later. Anyone know more than what I google? Then please post here and let us get this thing sorted, once and for all. Thanks to all.

Eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:39 am

Ok, I found this PDF
http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Int ... an1737.pdf

Eye safety calculator Excel. http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Int ... lator.xlsx

It all looks to be very complicated and there is a link in the pdf to an IR Eye safety calculator which is in itself very complicated. Being able to use an IR-flood light at 850nm or higher is going to need somebody who really knows their stuff very well and can understand how to calculate the safe operating intensity. I have no clue, even after reading about it.

So to get around this maybe the IR sticks could be the better option for the time being until someone works out the IR-flood solution. As single IR on each stick and feet are not going to be eye damaging at all.

For the IR-flood I also don’t think IR blocking sunglasses are going to be a solution either, as then everybody will have to wear one and I would not feel comfortable if this IR-flood could be eye damaging. For me it would have to be declared 100% safe without sunglasses before I would even consider using such a system.

So, back to the drawing board.

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:29 am

Ok, I found this comment, so I am going to have to write to this guy and ask him about my 18IR setup and what he thinks about that.

Soursce : https://www.quora.com/What-damage-can-n ... -your-eyes
Yue Lin, Assistant Professor, major in solid-state lighting
I am an assistant professor whose research mainly focus on LEDs. I want to say that you don't have to worry about the infrared LEDs at all. The photon energies they carry are less than visible light, which almost everyone can see and makes our live colorful. The only effect the infrared emission on our human being is the heat. But since the powers of the LED chips are pretty low, it won't burn you up! lol
Written 23 Dec 2015