Soldering usb led light to ps3 camera

mashworth

Soldering usb led light to ps3 camera

Post by mashworth » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:47 pm

I am looking to open up the ps3 camera and actually solder the Light source that comes with Aerodrums to the main power source of the camera (hence only using 1 USB to power up both the camera and the USB light together).

has anyone ever done this yet? or anyone have any tips (my aerodrums are out of warranty to I have no worries trying and failing at this, as the parts are easily replaceable).

I will be trying this next week (when my new solder arrived) and let you know the outcome.

I know this isn't something aerodrums can ever do since they do not own the rights to modify the ps3 camera (since the ps3 camera was not designed by them).

thoughts anyone?

nickynoodles

Re: Soldering usb led light to ps3 camera

Post by nickynoodles » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:06 pm

The lamp has a custom glass lens in it so it's probably not that replaceable if you kill it.

The cam and the lamp probably draw quite a bit of power each so I'm not convinced it will work well. Best way to test it before taking things apart would be with a mini USB hub.

mashworth

Post by mashworth » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:10 pm

Sadly I removed the 'custom glass' lens several months ago as I found it to be more accurate without it. Once the glass gets a little scuffed from normal use it acts as a diffuser to the light it emits and therefore doesn't work as well as it usually does..... so i removed it... although the LED'S are now exposed to potential damage when being stored away (i use a drum bag to sore all my aerodrum parts including the camera), it is considerably more accurate to pickup the movements of the sticks and feet markers.

i will let you know my outcome with my soldering job

mashworth

Post by mashworth » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:39 pm

Managed to successfully solder thw wores of the LED Light to the playstation 3 camera.

By doing this I can now use the ps3 camera AND the LED light using ONLY ONE USB PORT.

Benefits: only using one usb, no extra wires getting in the way and convenient to store away.

Nice and easy job, remove 4 screws from the back, there are 5 wires in there (red, white, green and 2x black), but you only need the red and black.

I extended the two wires with a 2 pin mole connector and naturally connected the other half to the led light. Now I can detach the light after use.

My soldering and electrical skills are minimal (as you can probably see from my poor wiring) but I still managed to pull it off.

Tried and tested, both are working perfectly...

Pics below....
<p>
<p>
<p>