Laptop

Flips

Laptop

Post by Flips » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi all

Aerodrums on its way but am now looking for a laptop to run it on . I don’t have one at present as use iPad.
I’m aware that specs need to be windows 7 onwards and at least intel core 2ghz. How much RAM is recommended and can anyone recommend a decent budget laptop that will suit ?

Thanks

tanuk

Re: Laptop

Post by tanuk » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:58 pm

For one data point, I have Lenovo ThinkPad t450s with 8 GB of RAM.

Notes on performance:

I have been happy with this laptop, it runs Aerodrums without issues on AC wall power. I tried once with battery power, and there were frame rate issues at least in Aerodrums' normal graphics mode. I guess some power saving features of the laptop kicked in. Those could maybe be disabled, but I didn't look into that. I didn't experiment with other graphics modes in Aerodrums either, since I didn't need to run on battery.

I haven't tried running other audio software at the same time. I will probably at some point try using Aerodrums as a MIDI source on a DAW, which will put some more strain on the system.

At first I used the internal sound card, which had low enough latency in the Exclusive WASAPI mode (unusable in the Shared WASAPI mode). Now I use Yamaha AG06 as the sound card with ASIO drivers, which might have improved the latency even further, or maybe I'm just imagining.

Wolfgang

Re: Laptop

Post by Wolfgang » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:08 pm

It depends what you want to do, to play Aerodrums in 2D or in 3D. If it’s the latter you need a decent Gaming PC to run Aerodrums 3D in full resolution besides Aerodrums 2D! If it’s just to play Aerodrums 2D, any laptop should do it.
My first 2 or 3 years I was running Aerodrums (in graphic mode 3) besides Reaper with Addictive drums on a HP laptop from 2010 with 4G RAM and an Intel Celeron P4500@1,87Ghz but with an external USB sound card.

To use Aerodrums in my experience the most important part (for a Windows PC) is an external sound card. Most laptop sound cards aren’t optimized for making music. They come without a proper ASIO driver and for getting ASIO compatibility you need to install a generic wrapper like Asio4all.

My advice would be not to spend to much money in a laptop and to better invest in a good 44,1 kHz compatible USB sound card with optimized ASIO drivers by the manufacturer. Like this you will also have standard Jack and/or XLR connectors if you want to play with other musicians in a studio or live.