invisible light camera modification for everyone!

InTheWorks

Re: invisible light camera modification for everyone!

Post by InTheWorks » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:05 pm

That glass blocks visible light, but looks pretty transparent to both 850nm and 940nm. So either kind of IR LED should pass through without an issue. Keep in mind that the light leaving the IR LED forms a cone. So you want to make sure that the diameter of that glass is at least the same width/height of the square enclosure.

That glass says it's 9.6mm diameter which is pretty small (less than 1/2"). So unless you were planning to use a lot of them, it won't cover much.

You don't need a cover, it's just aesthetic. But I still have some precut ones available if you want. See this post

JCMpercussion

Post by JCMpercussion » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:33 pm

So, you are saying that technically you don't need anything in front of the camera and lights, it's just for aesthetics?

BTW, how much for one of those cut pieces? Are you in the US?
I do have this ordered from ePlastics;

https://www.eplastics.com/ACRY31430-125PM11-555X11-850

InTheWorks

Post by InTheWorks » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:45 pm

JCMpercussion wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:33 pm
So, you are saying that technically you don't need anything in front of the camera and lights, it's just for aesthetics?
I guess you can say it's also for ESD protection (electrostatic discharge). It also keeps the dust out. If you plan to pack it around a lot, the cover is a good idea. If it's going to be largely stationary you could do without it.
BTW, how much for one of those cut pieces? Are you in the US?
I do have this ordered from ePlastics;
https://www.eplastics.com/ACRY31430-125PM11-555X11-850
That's the same stuff I ordered and I had to have it laser cut. If you don't have access to a laser cutter it might be pricey. At this point I'm happy to give it to you for the cost of shipping. I'm in Canada. If you want to PM me your details I can find out what the shipping costs.

I suppose you could hand cut it if you don't mind how it ends up looking.

JCMpercussion

Post by JCMpercussion » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:18 pm

PM sent