My solution for cable management and using a camera tripod

svander

My solution for cable management and using a camera tripod

Post by svander » Thu May 07, 2020 8:40 pm

Cheers from Seattle, WA.

I played drums most of my childhood and teenage years, then stopped for a long time when cancer and the ensuing financial ruin destroyed my family.

As time passed, I was never able to pick it back up. Drumming takes up a lot of space and makes a lot of noise. It is also not a musical instrument you can just stash away and take back out to do a little practice when you’re moving around every six months. For the longest time, electronic kits were prohibitively expensive and even then you need the space as well. Drumming frustration is a horrible thing to live with.

Then I found this and I’m blown away. I have been using them for about a week and can’t stop. All the nuance is there. I am so happy to have found this product.

But enough about me.

I attached a threaded bit I had from a tablet mount to the bottom of the camera so that it can be hooked up to any tripod. It’s very easy to set the correct angle, tilt and height when using a tripod. I used a product called Sugru to attach the “nut” to the bottom of the camera. Sugru is moldeable rubber. Cures as hard rubber after a day or so, perfect for stuff like this.

Then I used cable ties to bundle both camera and light cords together.
94788DF5-EA08-464A-A378-F53262E7BDC7.jpeg
94788DF5-EA08-464A-A378-F53262E7BDC7.jpeg (126.26 KiB) Viewed 10309 times
Anyhow, thought I’d share.

Ringowig

Re: My solution for cable management and using a camera tripod

Post by Ringowig » Mon May 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Thanks Svander that’s a neat solution you got there...Great to hear your drumming passion has been rekindled by Aerodrums!..I got mine in 2015 as I lived in an apartment and worked mainly on cruise ships..so they ticked all the boxes for me :D

All the best

vivalist

Post by vivalist » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Hello from Paris, France

I'm totally new to Aerodrums as I just purchased one today. I'm really into DIY (and yes, Sugru is REALLY convenient) so your post is the first one I clicked on when I arrived on the forum :)

I did get on the forum after I tested the gears though. And yes, a mount is needed for quick release (duck tape wouldn't do) and the cables are cable-annoyance at its maximum so I'll definitely find a way to work with them.
Not sure I'll settle for an actual camera tripod though as their foot print is big and if it is constantly moved around, tilt-pan-height-level adjustment would be a pain.

But once I come up with my own DIY setup, I'll update here because the thread's name is timeless :)

cheers

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:31 am

vivalist wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:10 pm
and the cables are cable-annoyance at its maximum
:lol:
Affreux, affreux

When I’ve got my Aerodrums 5 years ago, it was the first thing I was doing, crafting my own tripod. You cannot do any serious work without.

But something you both maybe don’t know, there is now a stand from Aerodrums, and I don’t know why they don’t make it more visible. When it came out, I ordered the same day, and I’ve never regretted.

It’s just one of the best updates they have made the last 5 years, because it comes with a new calibration mode for the camera and there is no more fiddling with angles.

I’m using Aerodrums at a lot of different places, for giving lessons, doing rehearsals and even playing in bars, and with the new stand it’s an “out of the box” for finding my kits.

PS
And thanks or pointing me to Sugru, I didn’t know this one, and I think I will have a usage for it.

vivalist

Post by vivalist » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 am

Thanks Wolfgang for your retex on the stand. I saw it, but as I'm DIY-at-heart, my initial thought was to first work with stuff I had around before buying anything more ;)

That said, I might consider it if the dedicated calibration system ease the whole process as you mentioned.

PS:
Sugru is good, but here is my own retex on it: when I first found out about it, I got very enthusiastic and bought a few packs thinking I would always find use for it + it is stored in sealed packs so I thought it would age well. It doesn't.
Turns out, I used it a couple of times (works VERY well) and then the rest of my stock just dried in its 'sealed' packs.
So I'd recommend waiting to have actual use for it and not over-estimating the quantity needed :)

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:12 am

vivalist wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 am
That said, I might consider it if the dedicated calibration system ease the whole process as you mentioned.
This is absolutely the case. And the stand is crafted to have the camera at it’s optimal height and angle.
vivalist wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 am
and then the rest of my stock just dried in its 'sealed' packs
So it hardens? Does it loose it’s elasticity in time? I thought it would become like a rubber.