Future of Aerodrums Software

BrettHeaslewood

Future of Aerodrums Software

Post by BrettHeaslewood » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:45 pm

I was just wondering what's in the pipeline for future iterations? When was the last update published?

Suggestion for a simple online change log.

Create a sticky post in the forum titled "Update [VER #X.XX] [DAY/MONTH/YEAR]"

Then type up the change log in the body of the thread.

Then simply just update the thread title/change log as you go.

I believe as an admin you can lock the thread off too so you don't have 1240124 people replying asking "why this doesn't work" and "that doesn't work".

Sipaliwini

Re: Future of Aerodrums Software

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Hello,

we are working hard on a number of features that we will release at NAMM or shortly after (early February at the latest). They include:
  • Brushes
  • Audio device selection
  • Hi-hat foot splash
  • Hi-hat clutch
  • Cymbal choking interface
The improvement of the MIDI interface will follow shortly after this.

The last update was in October and was very minor.
A log like you describe is a must have for any serious piece of software, we will publish one.

MickTheShaggy

Post by MickTheShaggy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:37 am

First of all - sorry if I'm asking the question that was already answered somewhere in the forums, but I could not find the answer for that.
What is your policy or plan for future Aerodrums software upgrades? And I'm not talking about the minor update/bugfix releases you are publishing so far. I mean the possible major upgrades, let's say Aerodrums2. If I would buy the current version, will I be able to get the future versions for free?

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:45 am

Hello, here is our policy on charging for future software updates:

"Our policy is to not charge for quality of life updates, or any updates that make the experience of playing with Aerodrums closer to that of playing on an acoustic kit. We will only charge extra for ground breaking things that you couldn't do with a normal kit."

(For example the features coming around NAMM and the MIDI improvements fall in that category and are free).

It is almost certain we will only use the name "Aerodrums 2" for a version with new hardware (e.g. a custom camera). We don't know yet if the software will be common between Aerodrums and Aerodrums 2, but existing Aerodrums users will be able to upgrade at a lower cost.

MickTheShaggy

Post by MickTheShaggy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks for the response. Sounds like a honest and reasonable approach.
BTW, are your plans to release you own camera somehow related to implementation of the IR technology? If that is the case - did you think about producing and distributing only the lens replacement kit for PS3 Eye (eg. whole module that would be screw-mounted to the PS3 Eye circutboard over the CCD sensor) instead of the whole camera?

bkmsx

Post by bkmsx » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi,
Wondering if impatience for the software updates may help make them occur quicker?!? ;)

Excuse the keenness.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Yes it does. We are very aware that NAMM has been delaying an update that was already long overdue. I am sorry about this. NAMM is over now, the update is coming very soon, I will post when we release it.

Munibeast

Post by Munibeast » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Any news about the progress of the updates yet? Will you post it here?

bkmsx

Post by bkmsx » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:04 am

i hope this quiet is the 'calm before the storm' and not 'we've left the building' .... :D

merely eager to see the evolution in the software and new bits.

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:07 pm

We're sorry about the delay releasing the update. There's been a good bit of news coverage of Aerodrums following NAMM, and it is consuming a lot of our time.
We are aiming to release the update by March 16th.