Laptop suggestions

joncfox

Laptop suggestions

Post by joncfox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:56 am

I just ordered Aerodrum and the recommended camera from Amazon. I am looking forward to expanding my drumming skills and opportunities to play in places where only an electronic set is reasonable or practical.

I will practice/learn at home using a tower desktop i7 with a great graphics card. But when I eventually take the setup on gigs, I'll need a decent laptop. Although I see you are adapting your software to work on laptops without special graphics cards, I suspect there may be compromises with such a system - latency, number of drums in the kit, response/feel etc. Is this true?

So for the laptop I'll use for gigs, I'd like to explore some models that will work well with the software. What is Richard using in the Youtube videos? Most laptops have few graphics card choices - are certain cards or manufacturers preferable?

Thanks very much for an exciting new product!

Jon

Sipaliwini

Re: Laptop suggestions

Post by Sipaliwini » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Dear joncfox, thank you for purchasing Aerodrums.

In the videos and at NAMM, we used a Dell XPS Studio 16.
We have also used a Dell l501x (XPS 15). Those are laptops from 3-4 years ago with moderately good mobile graphics card for the time (one ATI, the other nVIDIA, the manufacturer shouldn't matter unless they ship buggy drivers that don't support OpenGL 2.0 well, which is very unlikely. If you want to be safe, stick to nVIDIA, AMD or Intel). Most current laptops that don't skimp on graphics will run Aerodrums in full display mode.
I would pay more attention to the laptop manufacturer not shipping buggy audio hardware or drivers.