infrared leds

slavedave

Re: infrared leds

Post by slavedave » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:26 am

I am interested in these finding s too ( as a dabbler in taking things apart and modding stock items). IR on the aerodrums would be interesting.

aerodrummer

Post by aerodrummer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:26 am

Hi Slavedave,

peauproductions.com sells a range of PS Eye lenses and the ir filters. When you take the camera apart, you will have to put it in a new case that they have made specially to mount their M12 lenses. Its just a matter of picking the correct wide angle M12 lens that matches the same Aerodrums field of view and adding an ir filter that matches the light band of an ir led light (to replace the bright led light). All up should cost about $30-$40 USD

In theory it does not seem too tricky. It would be nice not to see a bright light in front of you. It doesn't bother me that much except when drumming at night.

aerodrummer

Post by aerodrummer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:18 am

From my rough calculations with image width and distance, a 1.9mm lens would be required to match the same focal distance of the aerodrum lens. Now to find an infra-red light...

rom

Post by rom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:18 pm

wow guys, this is awesome! I just started this post 8 months ago and you keeped it alive!!

So.. please keep us informed with your findings! it's worth it to buy the ir kit from peauproductions.com?

Could you please post some photos while mounting the new lens?? thanks!

aerodrummer

Post by aerodrummer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:27 am

Hi Rom,

After a bit of deliberation I ordered a 1.7mm lens, 850nm filter (stock standard for ir video camera lights on eBay) and an M12 mount to fit the lens on. It was a lot more than I estimated @ $92USD including shipping to Australia, though it should be good with no bright light. I'll let you know how it works out. I also have an ir lamp 41 led's from eBay. Hoping its angle is going to be wide enough. We'll see how it works out.

aerodrummer

Post by aerodrummer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Well my lens and filter arrived. The lens and filter was easy to fit once the case was cracked open. The filter is visible light plus 850nm ir light so it can see ir led light. The field of view seems wider than the slip on lens that comes with the aerodrum light.

I got a separate ir light off eBay. Tracking works well... But the field of view is way to narrow. To make it work I need a very wide angle ir light.

Playing without the bright light is a godsend. You can concentrate on your hand control and face naturally forwards- I can't play with that light on anymore. Last time it gave me eyestrain and headaches for a week. The other option is 1watt leds inside ping pong balls on the end of the sticks and pedals, or ir LEDs. TBC

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:03 pm

Hello, have you tried increasing the general light level in the room when you play? The light is less tiring when there is less contrast with the rest of your environment.
That said, we do agree that using visible light isn't ideal, we are working on it (but can't give any dates yet).

Another thing you can try if the lamp's position is too central for you is to experiment with placing it further to the side. This will mean re-configuring your drum sets, and the motion of your markers on the screen will be less intuitive, but if you already play without looking at the screen, it could improve things for you.

You sound like you will be able to DIY the IR solution. If for some reason it doesn't work out and the suggestions above don't help you enough, there is always the option to use sunglasses.

eirlysbill

Post by eirlysbill » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:10 am

Hi Sipaliwini,

I'm keen to get back into practicing drums again, and aerodrums seem a perfect way, but the light issue is something I'm not so keen on. I'm thinking of buying them now, and then deal with the light until you guys perfect a IR solution. So my question is, how much different will the setup be for IR? If I buy now, will the IR be easy to fit, or will it require any new hardware or software? If it does need new stuff, can you give details? Basically, I don't want to buy aerodrums now, and then regret that purchase, after the IR solution is sorted and released. I would be happy to spend a bit to make the current aerodrums work with IR, but not so happy to have to buy a whole new set up. Hope that makes sense...

Thanks for your time,
Bill

Sipaliwini

Post by Sipaliwini » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello Bill,

when we release a solution without a lamp that sends visual light, we will provide an upgrade path for existing customers. So you will not have to purchase the whole product over again.
Our main motivation for upgrading the hardware is not the visual light aspect, it is to make Aerodrums more robust to lighting conditions, and make it even more expressive.
I say this to convey our belief that this particular drawback can be acceptably addressed as it is for the vast majority of users (see the suggestions in my post above).

Aerodrummer, I don't mean any offence as I write the above, we respect your experience and opinion. I apologize that Aerodrums has caused you eyestrain and headache, I hope that it will not happen again. If it does and your IR modification does not work out as well as expected, please let us know.

I am sorry that we cannot give a release date for the hardware upgrade.

eirlysbill

Post by eirlysbill » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks. You convinced me. Just bought them.