Oculus Rift / leapmotion support

barlowski

Oculus Rift / leapmotion support

Post by barlowski » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:25 am

Cool product, I really dig the idea. I'm into visual drum experiences and have a couple of questions:
I would like to know if it is possible to integrate aerodrums with a Oculus Rift for viewing and leapmotion for hand gestures?
Is there a way to pull in the data provided by aerodrums into a game engine Unity 3d for example?
The interface is currenly 2d, are there any plans to go 3d?

Sipaliwini

Re: Oculus Rift / leapmotion support

Post by Sipaliwini » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:03 pm

The short answer to your questions is that since Aerodrums uses a normal camera that provides no "depth" information. We use the size of the markers as seen by the camera to get information about depth. This is good enough to discriminate between a few layers of drums (e.g. snare vs high tom). But it is not the same thing as having accurate 3D positional data for the drums and markers. This is the main reason why the Aerodrums display is 2D instead of 3D. We do want to work on improving this and provide an Oculus Rift integration at some point but it's not a very high priority for us.

The Leap Motion is not something we have looked into much. From what I understand, it is a short range sensor (max 2 ft.) so it wouldn't allow you to sit and drum in the same way you would on a real drum kit.

barlowski

Re: Oculus Rift / leapmotion support

Post by barlowski » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:45 am

Sipaliwini, thanks for your reply. I would be interested in developing a Oculus Rift integration using the 2D display data and make it look nice in 3D. As for the Leap Motion, your are right it is a short range sensor, but recently they are pivoting into VR with the new Top-down tracking. You basically attach the leap motion to the Oculus Rift and I think that could allow your to sit and drum like on a real drum kit and get hand tracking.
Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ATQG9mnm34
Maybe it will spark some idea :)