Separate MIDI notes sent when reaching above set velocity?

JRC

Separate MIDI notes sent when reaching above set velocity?

Post by JRC » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Greetings!

In a few weeks time I will do a corporate big band gig with the AD:s and a bunch of VST:s. However got to think of the velocity-based triggering of rimshots hihat edge hits anew:

- In the closed realm of AD alone we may set a treshold for when different samples will be triggered for rimshots or hihat edge, i.e:
Hi-hat bow vs. edge hits: Since Aerodrums does not detect the angle at which a stick strikes a drum or cymbal, we cannot detect when the drummer intended to hit the top of the hi-hat versus the edge. As a compromise, this setting allows you to specify a threshold hit strength beyond which hi-hat edge hits will be triggered instead of bow hits.
Rimshot hits: Similarly, this setting lets you trigger rimshots for the snare when you hit harder than the value you specify.

But does AD send out different MIDI notes when you cross that velocity treshold? This will impact my setting in Superior Drummer for example.

- If AD does send out a different MIDI note when I reach a preset velocity level of my choice, then all is fine, because I will set up Superior Drummer to learn that specific note.
- If AD does NOT trigger another MIDI note in this situation I will have to create a node (not a note) within Superior Drummer, basically telling the snare (or whatever surface) to trigger another sample above a specific vel. trshld.

The most important thing is obviously the hihat settings (as always). Is a different MIDI note sent when going over set velocity for triggering edge samples? In that case it should be doable to have dual-edge triggering in SD as well. It complicates things if not, because for the hihat I cannot set up midi nodes (not notes) that will change depending on the openess of the hat (CC4).

Espen

Re: Separate MIDI notes sent when reaching above set velocit

Post by Espen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Yes, AD will send two different MIDI notes. In snare head (38) and rim (40), and hats edge (46), bow (26). Of course you can adjust the value e.g. for snare so that "rim hit after 100%" which means it only sends head (38) note no matter how hard you hit.

JRC

Re: Separate MIDI notes sent when reaching above set velocit

Post by JRC » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Espen wrote:Yes, AD will send two different MIDI notes. In snare head (38) and rim (40), and hats edge (46), bow (26). Of course you can adjust the value e.g. for snare so that "rim hit after 100%" which means it only sends head (38) note no matter how hard you hit.
Thanks Espen - also confirmed today when I went to the rehearsal space and configured a few kits for a few hours. Now got the bread and butter down in Roots, Avatar, Metal Machinery, Allaire and Custom & Vintage.
I'm thinking of adding a node in SD for tom rimshots however, since AD does not send a specific MIDI note for those. But I can manage without.